A hospital in Missouri has admitted that, due to a radiation machine that was programmed incorrectly, 76 patients were given a 50 percent overdose of radiation.
According to hospital officials, the machine was programmed incorrectly after it was installed in 2004. Since then, every patient that has used the machine has been exposed to 50 percent more radiation than needed.
The error was finally discovered when a new technician was being trained to use the machine in September 2009. The hospital is no longer using the device and a full investigation is underway.
Stereographic radiation machines are used to treat small brain tumors and usually only one treatment is necessary.