As spring has arrived in Springfield, more and more bicyclists will be
on the roads. Along with being avid bicyclists themselves, the attorneys
at Strong-Garner-Bauer P.C. have handled multiple bicycle accident cases
and know all too well what can go wrong. When riding a bike, here are
some bicycle safety tips to help avoid being involved in a bicycle accident:
- Ride on the right side of the road with traffic.
- Many roads now have bike lanes; make sure to use them.
- Obey all traffic signals, including stopping at all stop signs.
- Make sure to wear bright, highly visible clothing and always wear a properly
- Avoid riding at night or at dusk. If you must, make sure your bicycle has
reflectors, wear reflectors and make sure your bicycle has a light.
- When in doubt, yield to a car or truck. You may be right, but that's
a multi-ton vehicle that can kill you.
As far as drivers are concerned, they need to keep an especiallly careful
lookout. Keep an eye out for bicyclists. Give them some room on the road.
Don't squeeze past a cyclist as that can cause an accident. In residential
areas, be particularly vigilant for children riding bicycles that they
may not control very well.
Please don't let these warnings and safety precautions take the fun
out of bike riding. It's a great sport, great excerise and a great
pastime. Riding safe means you can ride for many years to come.