Bicyclist Injury Threats
Summertime is one of the top seasons for bicyclists — and that only means, an increase in bicycle accidents. When sharing the road with motor vehicles, bike riders must take extra safety precautions to stay safe and prevent an accident. Being involved in a bicycle accident can cause devastating and life-threatening injuries. Here’s what you need to know.
How Do Bicycle Accidents Happen?
A bicycle accident can happen without warning. If drivers engage in the following road behaviors, a bicyclist could get seriously hurt.
- Failing to yield to bicyclists.
- Driving recklessly.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Using bike lanes to circumvent traffic.
- Engaging in unsafe passing maneuvers.
- Driving while distracted (texting, talking on the phone, eating, or playing with the radio).
A vehicle doesn’t necessarily have to be moving to cause a bicycle accident. Many accidents are caused by parked vehicle passengers opening doors in the path of a bicyclist.
Top Bike Accident Injuries
Since bicyclists have very little protection, an accident can not only cause a severe injury but can also be deadly. The most common injuries that bicyclists face after being involved in an accident are:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neurological damage
- Ruptured discs
- Broken bones/fractures
- Soft tissue injuries
- Abrasions (road rash)
How Bicyclists Can Prevent an Injury
By practicing these safety measures, bicyclists can reduce their risk of a serious injury, should they be involved in a bicycle accident.
- Always protect your head with a helmet.
- Wear reflective gear and light-colored clothing.
- Ensure your bike is equipped with reflectors.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Obey road rules, signs, and traffic signals.
- Always assume that a driver cannot see you.
- Stay alert and look ahead to avoid hazards and obstacles.
When You Need a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Our personal injury attorneys have the experience you need to protect your best interests, focusing on the most successful outcome possible. We go above and beyond and advocate for individuals who have suffered significant harm due to negligence.
Contact } today at (417) 855-2022. Let us be your guide through complex legal matters.